Dec 13, 2007

After Hours

I'm not a big fan of thrillers, but enjoyed every second of this one! I guess you could call it one of Martin Scorsese's classics, though it doesn't necessarily fit into the pattern of macho-character-driven films, like the earlier Mean Streets, Taxi Driver or Raging Bull.

In fact, the way it pictures the night atmosphere of SoHo, New York in early '80s, the gay scene, the crime, the punk bars and the bohemian artists remind me more of a Jim Jarmusch film – most likely Night on Earth.

Though the Kafka-like series of troubles that the main character in After Hours gets himself into sounds completely unbelievable if I retell it, it's somehow perfectly linked and credible on the screen, masterfully honed by Scorsese. There wasn't a single moment I stopped suspending disbelief.

No comments: